Welcome to my Blog....

It is my wish and dream that this blog provide inspiration to people of all ages and abilities. All are welcome!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Well...it's not even a trot actually!

I can't believe that a month has passed since I lastwrote. I guess I am guilty of writing in my mind and therefore neglect putting fingers to keyboard.  **heavy sigh**

So...the June half marathon is coming quickly and I feel ill prepared to do it.
I'm wondering really if anyone who is a first timer actually feels ready and fully trained. I imagine that regular skilled runners do, but I'm such a non-runner!

Today I did 9.8 KM (6.08 miles) but it took me forever!!  I only have four hours to complete 20km/13 miles or they take you off the course. That would be my saddest moment let me tell you....
So...my total run/walk today took me 1 hour 45 mins. I really need to speed it up or risk not finishing.
I was thinking about what I said about "trotting" and decided that I actually "shuffle"...a trot is too fast. lol

I know that I have 5 weeks to continue training and I'm actually confident that I will complete it as I feed off the other runners energy and the excitement of the day.

So...to help me with my training I'm in the process of making an appt with a sports guy. It's kinda funny actually because I won the free consultation so I see this as a sign that a little professional advise would be helpful.  I'll let you know how it goes.

My main issues with running is the discomfort (pain?) I feel in my hips and glutes. You'd think that I have the tightest ass in town from the muscle tightness that I feel, but alas it's just a residual affect from my running form.
Glutes are relatively easy to stretch out after you run but its during that bothers me! and hips...yeah...same thing.  I'll let you know what the pro says. Maybe I'm not stretching enough or warming up properly. Again...I'll let you know what happens.

It is funny how life just goes on.  I was supposed to be at Fitness Ridge starting next week but had to cancel and rebook....the timing just wasn't there. I will be going for two full weeks in October and am very much looking forward to it (and the break away from my reality). 
Since being at FR last Nov/Dec, I feel like I haven't been at home much. Lots of vacations, travel and thousands of excuses to not to eat well or excercise diligently!!
There's always a Monday coming so I could start then...right?
Well...it is now always Monday and while I continue my training and learning I'm actually excited and hope that I do OK at this half-marathon so that I can sign up for another.
Believe me...I wouldn't be running (shuffle walking:-D) if I hadn't signed up and made this commitment to complete this run. 
Alas, I think I'm beginning to whine. I shall write more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment