Welcome to my Blog....

It is my wish and dream that this blog provide inspiration to people of all ages and abilities. All are welcome!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

In Prep for the Ranch....

This is a post that I meant to do a bit ago but time got away from me.

I have no idea (except for the refence to the TV show Biggest Loser...) really what I'm getting myself into. I've read and asked questions but still don't really know.

There were a few things i knew I had to get done tho before I could move forward in anyway.

First was my feet! They are lovely little things and I'm very attached to them. They carry one heck of a load every single day and about a year ago it almost put me down. My main problem was that my feet supanate(hope I spelled that right)...which means that my feet tend to shift the weight to the outside of the foot as opposed to the inside. Most people pronate (inside) but I've always liked to  be a little different. So....long story short...my feet were beginning to affect the tendons and ligaments on the outside of my entire leg. Excruiately pain in my ankles and legs could (and sometimes did) put me down.
I went to have my feet analyzed (they taped it and showed me...) and what I saw was amazing! Yikey doodles...my entire leg was warped!  So with orthotic inserts and a really good stable shoe I am able to walk almost pain free! It's a good thing!!

With my feet  being so outta whack for such a long time I booked three sessions with a stretch therapist. OMG!! Fantastic. With her assistance and push I was able to unlock some of the tighter than tight muscles --especially in my hips and knees--and can now move much easier.  I do plan on seeing her when I return and make it a regular form of muscle maintenance.

Then...there was my shoulder!  I've had rotator cuff issues in  both shoulders for many years but they haven't bothered me until lately. One day while on a walk it felt like someone suddenly came up and stabbed me in the shoulder!  It almost drove me to my knees.  This scared me becuz I knew that the main course of treatment is rest and heat. I didn't have time for that so chose to seek out acupuncture.  Well...this was definately a new experience for me and I definately got some relief.  With two treatments I already have more mobility and significantly less pain.  I'll let the trainers at the Ranch know my issue and I'm told that they will modify the workout for me.  My next appointment for acupuncture is booked already for when I return.

The Doctor...Yup...had to make sure that she knew I was going. She was a bit concerned with the idea of going frrm zero to sixty for exercise but I assured her that it was all individual and not a race or contest.  She did all my blood work and was happy to say that my cholesterol was "fantastic" , fasting blood sugars were "excellent" and blood pressure was "normal"!  Weeee Haaaa!!

So I'm sorta ready... I guess I am....
Oh...just bring it ON!

3 comments:

  1. Faye, I spent one week in May 2010 at Fitness Ridge and 3 weeks in July. I'm already scheduled to go back the first two weeks in May. Your going to love it. It changed my life. I've lost over 50 pounds and just did my first 5K. I'm 58 and feel like I'm 20 again. It saved my life. Good luck. I'll be following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. onelifetochange!! Thanks for your comment. It is very inspiring. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faye,

    I saw the accupunturist at Fitness Ridge in June. She is fabulous. Having shoulder issues myself.

    I will be there next week. Looking forward to meeting you. Enjoy your week. It is an amazing place.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete