Welcome to my Blog....

It is my wish and dream that this blog provide inspiration to people of all ages and abilities. All are welcome!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Are you going to Fitness Ridge? A few tips....

So I just left Fitness Ridge yesterday and I'll arrive home this afternoon.  Can't wait.
So here's a few tips for you....
  • there's no need to take a bunch of cash. They'll just run a tab for you at FR so anything you need or want goes on your credit card on file.
  • don't bring laundry soap.  There is a cupboard above the table in the laundry room (this is Utah) that is full of products that past guests have left.  There is laundry soap, shampoo, blister kits, sunblock....etc. The stuff will always change but why lug heavy stuff in your bag if you don't have to.  The FR store does have little boxes of Tide and Bounce for $1.
  • don't bother with your high heels and fancy dresses....unless you're gonna party up in Vegas before or after.  Believe me...there's no time to go out on the town while in program at FR.   The same goes for all the make-up and hair stuff....bring the minimum.
  • There are no safes in the room but documents such as passports/credit cards/cash etc can be put in an envelope and kept at the front desk.
  • don't forget the chargers to all your electronic devices!!  I forgot my ipod charger....this was a popular enough item that someone else had one but still caused me some angst before I found that person.
  • clothes: winter...you need a head band to cover your ears and gloves...gets pretty chilly.  Make sure you can layer becuz when that sun comes out it warms up pretty fast...especially when you're climbing a mountain.
  • bring enough work out clothes so you don't have to do laundry for a few days.   I went out a week before I left and bought a bunch of dry wick tops...I tried them on and liked them....then when I got to FR I didn't wear any of them becuz they felt uncomfortable and too tight. So t-shirts are always good if you're not comfortable with the tighter stuff....but t-shirts get wet and stay wet so be sure to have back up becuz you could be changing your clothes a couple times a day.
  • If you have two bathing suits...bring 'em along. You'll be in the pool daily and sometimes twice a day. It's not fun to put on a wet cold bathing suit.  But don't rush out and buy another just becuz you're going to FR it's really not a big deal...you can always run it under hot water and put on a wet,tho warm, suit.
  • Take baby powder!!  This can be a saving grace when trying to get a sports bra on after finishing in the pool.
  • Don't go in looking for double digit weight loss like the Biggest Loser show. While the program is similar, it is my understanding that on the show they work out even longer than what we do at FR. An average person may do 4-6 lbs a week at FR...at least that's what I saw in the two weeks that I was there.
  • They'll give you a Biggest Loser water bottle so you don't need to bring on from home.
  • Don't bother bringing a bunch of books...you won't have time to read believe me. You'll be in bed by 7pm!!  But if you just have to have something to read there is a small library located just off the front that has a bunch of books, dvd's ($2 for rental...unless it's a workout video) and two or three computers for the guests to use.
  • Do remember your sun glasses! Very bright. Most people even wore them in the pool too.
  • Try your best and don't compare yourself to others at FR. Some are very fit and others are just starting on their journey....just remember it about you and no one else.
  • If you've signed up to share a room...be prepared and open minded.  You don't spend a lot of time in the room with your roommate but it can still be difficult...they may snore or simply not want to talk...It can be very difficult to change rooms becuz they're packed to the rafters...so be prepared for anything and everything.
  • There was only one hike (West Canyon) where I saw bathrooms.  Be prepared to squat on a cactus if you have to. Bring along the small packages of kleenex.
  • Take care of your feet. Make sure you have non-friction sox.  This is a must.  Go to a sports store and get some before coming (tho they do sell them at the FR store). The most popular brand is Wright Socks. You can get them in any running, hiking or sports store...or online.  The cost is about 12-15 dollars/pair....worth every penny.
Have fun. Enjoy.
If I think of more I'll throw them in.
Happy Days.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I am coming the end of January and the list was very helpful. I really enjoyed reading your posts. I understand there is a referral program- is that right? Good luck being home! I can't wait for FR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie. Thx for the kind comments. Yes the referral program is if you're just booking and you mention a previous guest you get $100 off and $100 goes on file for that guest's future stays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, there! I've been to Utah, but it was good to remind myself of the little things that I'd forgotten ... like potty packs for hikes. I'm on my way, agian!

    ReplyDelete