Welcome to my Blog....

It is my wish and dream that this blog provide inspiration to people of all ages and abilities. All are welcome!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

5KM, 10KM...1/2 Marathon....

So...Fitness Ridge brought me back to moving and feeling better but it is up to me to KEEP the momentum going.
That is not always an easy thing.
Sooooo.....I have run in the past and completed several organized 5 km and 10 km runs.  I've always done these for fun and not competition...so they are "runs" not "races".
I go at my own speed and have always completed them sucessfully.
My last 10 km run was April 2009...and it almost killed me!
Yikey doodles...even the training for the run sucked.  I developed bone spurs on my knees and also had trouble getting a proper breathing focus (ended up that I was suffering from some self imposed anxiety...the harder I tried...the hard it became.)
My doctor told me to stop....so I did. Put on 20 pounds like over-night...or it sure felt that way and I felt like crap because I didn't replace those 3 or 4 days of running with anything.....I sat down on my patooty and stayed there.
My trip to Fitness Ridge proved to me that I could work my way back there. My knees are fine and just need to be respected....and what better way to respect them but take 50 pounds of pressure off them.  that's my goal!
So before going to FR I started walking again.  Not just a little stroll but a good clipped walk. It gets those old lungs moving again and wakes up the muscles etc.  After being at FR for two weeks I felt like I could take on the world as far as movement went.  My lung capacity, flexibility and strength had all improved and I was able to show myself that once I put my mind to it I can do anything that I want to do.
Well....I've now signed up for the Seattle Half Marathon with my FR roommate Eve!!  It is in June 2011 and I'll begin training for it upon my return home.

I can do anything...and I will.

 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your vacay! We're headed somewhere tropical in April, but not sure where yet... just that it will be all inclusive and I won't have to cook or clean. And for that, I am totally excited! We're headed to the passport office in K-town tomorrow morning.
    Enjoy your dose of vitamin D!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kari. I'm also "homeschooling" for this couple of weeks ...just to get a feel for it. Right now he is doing DEAR but first thing this am we were in the pool doing PE. Sure LOVE the freedom.
    YAY for passports, all-inclusives and tropical places!

    ReplyDelete